Director Yu Suzuki conceived Shenmue as a saga spanning multiple games. The first two games were developed by Sega AM2 and published by Sega for the Dreamcast in 1999 and 2001 respectively.
Despite attracting a cult following and appearances in several “greatest video games of all time” lists, the Shenmue games were commercial failures and Shenmue III entered a period of development hell lasting over a decade.
Ys Net released a Shenmue III teaser trailer on August 22, 2017, featuring Ryo and Shenhua in open vistas, martial arts action, an orchestral soundtrack, and the dragon and phoenix mirrors, plot elements from the previous games. Some fans and journalists criticized the trailer’s “stiff” character models and animation. In December 2017, Ys Net announced that the Indian studio Lakshya Digital would provide additional character models.
Title: Shenmue III
Genre: Action, Adventure
Developer: YS Net
Publisher: Deep Silver
- OS: Windows 7 or higher (64 bit)
- Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-750 or 3.2 GHz AMD Phenom™ II X4 955
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: 2 GB Direct3D 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 780 or Radeon R280)
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 60 GB available space
- Additional Notes: These are preliminary system specs that can and will change!